December, 2022. Prices are each way and are updated frequently.
Below are the latest Frontier Baggage fees:
|Size: 14"H X 18"W X 8"D|
Think purses, totes, computer bags, briefcases, diaper bags and kids backpacks
NOTE: Bag must be no larger than 14”X18”x8”.
|Maximum size: 10"D x 16"W x 24"H|
Maximum weight: 35lbs
|3 + Checked||$95|
|Oversized Checked Baggage||$75|
|Overweight Checked Baggage||$$50-$100|
About Frontier Airlines
Frontier Airlines is relatively new, as it started operations only in 1994. It has established a solid reputation as an airline that charges comparatively lower prices, which makes this airline among the best option for budget-conscious families. Its fleet flies to at least a hundred US destination, and 31 additional international destinations.
Top Reasons for Flying Frontier
So, why fly with Frontier Airlines? Here are the most popular reasons:
This is perhaps the most popular reason of them all. If you’re flying with your whole family, then even slightly higher flight costs can significantly add to the total cost of flying.
There are plenty of discount opportunities as well. An adult can be a member of the Discount Den travel club. And if an adult is a member, their younger kids (younger than 14 years old) can fly on Frontier for free.
Nice Departure and Destination Options
Frontier is actually a major airline, so you can get a flight from many departure points in the US. You’re also able to fly to plenty of different destinations, including Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. That means you have a higher chance of flying direct without paying a lot, and you avoid the inconvenience of layovers.
Special Consideration for Babies
Families with very young kids get to board first, directly after Priority Boarding. That way, you avoid the challenge of boarding with young kids among too many people. You’ll have your kids buckled up and settled in more easily and more quickly.
Baggage and Luggage Policies
Each passenger can bring on board 1 free personal item. However, it must be at most 14 inches high, 18 inches wide, and 8 inches deep. It also must fit under the seat in front of the passenger. You can also bring onboard coats, medical assistive devices, and even prayer mats, as long as they don’t exceed the size and weight limits.
However, carry-on luggage isn’t covered by your airfare. If you do bring a carry-on bag, it will cost you somewhere between $37 to $60. You can then stow in under the seat in front of you, or in the overhead cabin. Its maximum weight is 35 pounds.
It also cannot exceed 24 inches in height, 16 inches in width, and 10 inches in depth. These measurements also factor in the handles and the wheels of the bag.
If you’re travelling with an infant, then you can bring in diaper bags for free (in addition to your personal item). But your baby’s car seat and stroller will be checked at the gate, although there won’t be additional fees for these items.
For Checked Bags
A standard checked bag cannot have measurements that add up to more than 62 inches. The weight limit is just 40 pounds.
If you exceed these limits, then there will be additional fees. The maximum size for the bag is 110 total linear inches, while the maximum weight is 100 pounds. Each bag that is either oversized or overweight will set you back another $75. And if the bag is both too big and too heavy, that’s a total of $150 for each bag.
Tips on Reducing the Frontier Baggage Fees
- If you’re traveling only for a few days, stick to a single personal item. A medium-sized backpack can qualify, and you should be able to maximize all the available space there.
- If you’re paying for baggage, do this during booking. This is when you get the cheapest prices for baggage. Once you’re done with your purchase, the baggage prices, such as during the check-in or the boarding process, will be a lot higher.
- You can also try out the Specialty Fares, such as bundles like the WORKS and the PERKS. Just remember that these options are only good for round-trip flights, but then you get 1 carry-on and 1 checked bag in for free (covered by the airfare already).
- Try the loyalty program and other discount opportunities.
- If you’re an active military personnel, bring your military ID with you and you’ll get a discount. All baggage fees on 1 carry-on bag and up to 2 checked bags are waived for all active duty, reserve, and national guard service members.